Saturday night Ryan and I went on a date to see Star Wars in the dollar theater. By the end of the movie I was having cold chills and was shaking all over but we decided to get our kids and go home. I could wait out the night and go to the doctor in the morning.
At 4 A.M. on Sunday, August 3, I woke up with extreme pain and nausea and knew I needed to get to the hospital. I woke Ryan up and he drove me to the ER while our kids slept unaware. I suspected my appendix was the problem, and I was right. I needed to have it taken out asap. Ryan's mom and brother drove up to West Jordan to get the kids so that Ryan could stay with me as much as possible. After a long day of laying in the hospital beds of two different hospitals, I finally went in to surgery at 8 P.M. I was nervous going in because:
1. the doctor told me about all the complications that could occur (blod clots, stroke, etc..) and
2. not realizing I would be going in so soon, Ryan had just left to get some dinner. I was in a state of mind that I worried I would never see him or my kids again and wouldn't even be able to say goodbye.
Pretty dramatic thinking, but that's where I was. I was taken into the OR and given a sedative and could feel it take affect. The next thing I knew, I was waking up feeling paralyzed because I had an itch and couldn't move my hand to scratch it. I also remember someone telling me that my appendix had been gangrenous. Ryan told me that I kept on bringing that up and asking about it, so I know it worried me even as loopy as I was. I was taken back to my room where Ryan was waiting and went to sleep soon after.
Being in the hospital was pretty nice because I didn't have to do anything! I was able to sleep, read or watch TV without worrying about a schedule to keep or what anyone else needed. If I had been able to eat anything besides broth and jello (ick!), I might have moved in permanently!
After checking out of the hospital on Monday afternoon, Ryan took me to stay at my parents house in Provo so I could keep up my lazy, sleeping-all-day recovery. I was there for 8 days-high on pain killers most of the time--and then I moved back home to be with Ryan.
One of the instructions the doctor gave me at check out was to not lift anything >20 lbs for a whole 3 weeks. I agreed, vocally, but what mother thinks that is actually possible? Riley still sleeps in a crib and he weighs about 21 lbs! I got myself into a little trouble when after 2 weeks of sort of babying myself, I started lifting and moving furniture (we just moved to our new place at the end of July). The next day my stomach was in pain and it took a few weeks and many more lortab pills to get me back to feeling ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment