On the evening of the 3d, we invited our friends Phil, Jihyei and Joshua over for dinner and to watch Captain America 2. We were able to get most of the kids to bed (there was always one baby or the other up with us) and have a relaxing night. We needed it before the 4th because that day was anything but relaxing!
On the 4th, we got up and ready and headed out the door by 8 a.m. I was taking the kids to the parade and Ryan was working a booth for overstock in order to earn free tickets to the stadium of fire. Phil caught a ride with us to work at the booth as well. The parade was as expected- hot, boring (for me), and crowded. I enjoyed seeing some of my siblings and their families and sitting with them, but the parade has never been my favorite. However, the kids were happy to be there and that made it worth it. The highlight of the holiday was the Stadium of Fire. I have spent 20-something years watching the stadium fireworks from a park near my parents house, but actually being in the stadium was a totally different and awesome experience. We took all three kiddos against my better judgement...I was especially worried about Cassidy not being able to sleep or settle down but she surprised my by passing out in the baby bjorn and slept through the whole fireworks show, up until the finale! Riley only had eyes for the fireworks, even during the concert (Journey and Olivia Holt, whoever that is). There were fireworks firing off every now and then without the stadium and his focus was on them, with sparkling eyes and jaw dropped open, the whole time. We couldn't have done it without Phil and Jihyei. They were so helpful in helping us get food dished up for the kids, holding the baby so I could use the ladies room, and carrying my diaper bag. The show ended at about 11 p.m. and we were finally able to escape the parking lot at about midnight. We didn't make it home until about 1:00 and after getting the kids in their beds, Ryan and I fell into be close to 2. We were so tired the next day!! I stayed home with the kids because Sienna threw up in the morning and we didn't want to spread an illness at church, and honestly I was glad for a reason to stay home and sleep in late. I don't know why but we always seem to spend some part of the 4th of July festivities in the bathroom puking. That is not my favorite tradition :/

No comments:
Post a Comment