Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sienna's First: Fat Lip

Yesterday my daughter gave herself a fat lip. She was climbing on her high chair--which is something she KNOWS she shouldn't do because every time I see her start she gets the ultimatum (no no, or you'll get a time out). Unfortunately my back was turned and I didn't get the chance. There was a loud crash followed by a scream followed by the kind of sobbing when you know someone is really in pain. I scooped her up and saw that she had blood in her mouth. After a thorough (as thorough as a mother can be when her baby is trying to stop her) investigation I saw that she had bit her lip, probably as a result of a big high chair falling on top of her face. The outside of her top lip was swollen and skinned as well. Poor thing! I gave her a little bit of medicine and a baggie full of ice chips (to eat, mind you...none of that holding ice on the wound for her!) and she was feeling better after a while. Speaking of Sienna, I can hear her whining from her room, so that is the end of this post!

2 comments:

Emma Banks said...

ow. That's a bit unfortunate.
I miss you guys! Happy Thanksgiving!

Em said...

Hmmmm. Maybe you should have intervened earlier. When my kids do something that could be dangerous, instead of threatening them with a time out, I think of why it could be dangerous and then force that to happen, so they learn natural consequences. i.e. McKenna rides her bike in the street...She shouldn't do that because she could get hit by a car... So, I pull out the car and attempt to hit her. If I had been in your shoes, I would have knocked over the highchair the first time she climbed it. That could have prevented this. Hopefully this technique can help you with future issues. ;)

(For anyone reading this who doesn't know me...I'm kidding. Completely.)