Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What to do?

I am out of ideas and could really use ideas from anyone out there with experience...How do you feed a picky child? Mine is going on 19 months now, and I still have to make a separate meal for her every night. She doesn't like anything that I make for Ryan and I. Sometimes she doesn't even like what I make for her (tonight for example, I made her a quesadilla. It looked delicious but she wouldn't even TRY it!). She loves and eats a lot of fruit-bananas, grapes and oranges especially. She likes yogurt and applesauce SOMETIMES. There are things that she used to love but will no longer touch (cheese, avocados, pancakes, etc...) and some things she has never liked or even been willing to try (pnut butter, beans, pasta, almost everything I make). Today she wouldn't even try a donut!! I think there are many things she would love if she would just give them a chance, but I can't force her to, so what am I supposed to do? The doctors always say, "The kid isn't going to let herself starve, she'll eat a lot some days and a little others, it's normal blah blah blah" but that just doesn't take into account the stress of a mom who doesn't know what to give her little girl to eat.

What did you do when your kids wouldn't eat and you were tired of preparing special meals everyday?

p.s. Lest you think I am sabotaging myself, the donut was offered after Sienna ate ALL her lunch. (It was mac'n'cheese...so I may not have exactly redeemed myself, but it wasn't after she refused her dinner)

3 comments:

Jenny Brimhall said...

I totally know how you feel. Right now there are about 4 things that Collin will eat, and that's the way its been since he was at least a year old. My biggest piece of advice- keep trying, but don't let it stress you. People used to tell me that all the time and I would get so mad, but then one day I just decided that was all I could do. Like you say, you can't make her eat, and Collin could tell I was getting upset at him for not eating. I wish there was some magic thing that would change how they eat, but if I ever find that I'll let you know :) I think you'll find as she gets older that your doctor is right- there are days that Collin will eat tons and then he'll go 2 or 3 days with hardly anything. Good luck, I hope it gets better! If you ever want to talk to someone who totally understands then call me! :)

Jenna said...

This is going to go under my usual topic of "reasons I should probably never be a mother," but I say if she doesn't eat what's in front of her, she doesn't get food. My parents would force us to eat food and it led to us hating lots of foods until we were much older, so I don't think that works either. I agree that she won't let herself starve, and it may be that she is just pushing her limits with you. Maybe once her options are limited, she'll realize she has to eat what is in front of her, and will start liking those things once she tastes them.

HayleeBird said...

Thats hard. I have no idea what you are supposed to do... So far Lilly eats everything I put in front of her, so hopefully she keeps that up.