Friday, March 14, 2014

A Snapshot of This Moment

Once again, I've let this blog and all record keeping of our life slip through my fingers and I don't like it :(  I want to remember; not just moments here and there but what our life was like and who are kids were at their different ages.  Remembering back to when Sienna was a baby is strange and unfamiliar and I don't want that to happen to Sienna at 4/Riley at 2 :)

These kids of mine are the joy of my life but it is hard work to remember that every single day.  I have been struggling with waking up in the mornings and a lot of the time, I only get up when both kids are asking me for food.  Another weakness I hate having is distraction.  I always have good intentions to spend the day doing fun activities but if I open the computer to pay a bill/check an email/do anything that is supposed to "just take a second" I easily get sucked in to facebook/blog reading/recipe searching and just like that, the morning is gone.  I hate doing that and am working on it, one day at a time.

I have two church callings: activity days leader for the 9-11 year old girls and Stake Primary secretary.  The first one is easy, 2 one hour activities every other month (that I plan) and the second I haven't decided about yet.  It hasn't seemed hard yet but I'm new :)

I just had my yearly MRI and found out that things look great!  My lesions showed some shrinking and in one case had disappeared completely!  I have been taking Tecfidera (a pill) once a day for the last 10 or so months and LOVE that compared to the Copaxone (a stingy shot every night).

Our house is usually cluttered and messy despite the face that I am constantly cleaning up.  It's awful!  I wish that I could keep it looking tidy but there are 2 very determined people who like to make messes and at some level I know I need to accept a messy home.  But it's hard.  Messes make me grumpy.  I insist that Sienna clean her room up every day and it creates so. much. drama.  She is getting better at just doing it but always wants someone to help her and she can make a MEAN mess.

Speaking of Sienna, she is such a sweetheart!  She really wants to be good and sometimes all it takes to stop her bad behavior is to ask her to "Be like Nephi" or to tell her she's acting like a bully (she doesn't want to be that!).  She loves her stuffed animals more than anything and can't bear the thought of getting rid of ANY even though she has 50+ taking over her bed and room.  A recent development-she loves to dress up in tutus and dance leotards and wants to wear them to bed and again the next day!  She also loves to put her own clothes and bows on her animals.  She took a dance class for a month and really enjoyed it and has asked me if she can do it again.  (we'll see).  She LOVES to do crafts and asks me to let her do them frequently.  She loves it when I come up with activities or games to play and has the cutest/funniest excited face (open eyes and mouth as wide as possible, smile and wiggle tongue back and forth fast).  She doesn't like to be alone or play by herself much but we still do "Quiet Time" during Riley's nap so that I can have a small break.  Sienna loves primary and FHE!  She loves to read and recently we started delving into the world of chapter books.  We've read "My Father's Dragon", "Mouse and the Motorcycle", "Narnia" (with Daddy), and "Mrs. Piggle Wiggle".  She has gotten less scared of riding her bike.  Her best friend is Livvy, her cousin.  She starts Kindergarten this year and after an initial period of shyness and discomfort we're pretty sure she is going to LOVE it!  She is going to be going to Jordan Ridge Elementary!

Riley has been potty training for about a month now, which means that he has been naked from the waist down every waking moment (because he never puts his undies back on).  He has no shame :-)  So far he's had 2 #2 accidents and he has a "peep" accident basically whenever he is wearing pants, which is why he's our little nudist right now.  He likes to sleep on his floor more than his bed.  When he says the prayer, he starts out repeating what we tell him but then he takes it away, saying thank you for all kinds of things (he recently broke into a song "January, March and April....").  At the end of a prayer he will only say every other word:
Dad: say, "in the name of..."
Riley: "Jesus"
Dad: "Christ"
Riley: "A"
Dad: "men"

Riley's favorite toys are his cars.  He even sleeps with them in his bed!  He also loves to throw them which gets him into trouble when he hits his sister! He has ripped up 3 library books so far, so we have stopped checking them out, much to Sienna's sadness.

Riley wants to do what he wants to do and always responds to a request with, "first I have to...." the only thing that can change his mind is the mention of a time out.  This boy is trouble.  I can't leave him alone without him getting into something he shouldn't!  Most recently he found a red Sharpie (our fault, I know) and colored all over his hand and arm.  And later I found that he had colored on my white temple dress, too. A few days after that he found a pen during nap time and instead of napping, drew on his wall, puzzles and all over his legs and arms.  Another fun story is that he climbed up on the kitchen counter while naked (potty training) and started to build a tower out of play dough containers.  When he felt the "urge", he went ahead and pooped right there on the counter.  We are never bored when Riley is around!!

He can say his abc's (without skipping t through w, which he did for awhile) and can count to 13 (without skipping 6).  He loves to sing songs before bed, has to have his jammies zipped on backwards to prevent stripping, and thinks it's ok to call us back into his room several times before finally going to sleep.
He loves nursery and has never cried or worried about being left.  He is so lovable and affectionate!  He loves to do donks, hugs and kisses.  It makes me really sad to think that he is going to grow up and stop being my baby.

Ryan is working at Over st o ck and recently changed positions to be a project manager!  He got a significant raise (yay for the debt snowball!) and has a lot of potential for career advancement.  We're excited!  He is the assistant scout leader for our church, and the vacation planner for our family.  Seriously, if it wasn't for him we would never do anything fun!  Right now he is planning a trip to Yellowstone in June.  Can't wait!

Life is good.  We love our little family!


No comments: