Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Update on Kids

Cassidy is going to be 11 months old in 6 days!!  The fastest 11 months of my life, I can hardly believe it!  At the beginning of September she started trying to crawl up stairs (it started with just one and now she can go all the way to the top really fast!).  She can walk pretty well with a walker or holding onto my hands, but so far hasn't dared to try to stand or walk without some support.  She has just two teeth still, on the bottom.  One of the cutest things she does is pushing her bottom jaw to the side so that she has a cute little lopsided smile.  A struggle right now has been breastfeeding...she just isn't getting much milk (her choice...it's there if she wants it) and I have been fantasizing about weaning her. I'm not sure how to entice her to drink whole milk other than just add a little to her night time bottle of bm and gradually increase the amount.  I really hope it works :)  She really likes food and eats almost anything I give her.  Exceptions have been bananas (they are just too fun to squish), canned peas and carrots (can you blame her?), baby puffs and yogurt bites (that's a little weird), and even things that she likes end up on the floor when she's had her fill.
She is 13 lb 15 oz.  She is incredibly happy, smiley and content.  She has her moments when she gets fussy and won't let me put her down without a stink, but I appreciate her sweet, easy demeanor every day.  She loves to play hide and seek, peek a boo, to turn pages in books, eat whatever she can from the floor, get into cupboards (I really need to get baby locks on those...), throw crayons on the floor, play with her toy piggy bank, and cuddle with her raccoon.  Today, I watched her put her ball onto the ball ramp toy and watch it wind around while clapping for herself.  Before today, she wasn't really able to hold onto the ball well enough to set it down!  She also has been learning to blow kisses-she holds her palm over her mouth and slides it up to her hair.  She'll figure it out eventually, but she is (in Ryan's words) so damn cute right now!  We love our Cassie Boo and are so grateful that she is in our family!

Riley is so awesome.  He is really into helping out around the house right now, even taking upon himself extra jobs that he wasn't asked to do because he loves when we encourage him.  He has a really strong desire to be good (and to avoid outer darkness...).  This morning I called him a "handsome little devil" and he didn't like that because devils are not nice :)  He loves to do "homework" which is usually just worksheets from a preschool workbook we have and he can name MOST of the ABC's without prompting and the sounds they make.  He loves his Daddy and has told me several times that Dad is his most favorite person (and parent) in the world.  He loves to have "special time" and asks for it 2 or more times a day.  He is a very giving brother, always sharing his candy, food, and anything he has with Sienna.  He loves Cassidy to a fault and we are trying really hard to teach him how to love her gently.  He wants to be strong and has been asking me at every meal and snacktime "Is this healthy?  Will it make me strong?"  I love and have a lot of fun with this guy!

Sienna is wonderful, sweet and helpful.  She loves to hold and help watch Cassidy.  She's a little less loving towards Riley, even while he always wants to play with and be around her.  She is amazing at her school work, and very determined when it comes to memorizing poems, songs, or articles of faith.  She goes to bed with a big stack of books every night (as does Riley) and also loves Harry Potter, which Daddy reads with her in bed.  Her food tastes are ever expanding, and she will actually try new things and ends up really liking them half the time.  First grade takes her away for 7+ hours a day and while she's gone we miss her.  It doesn't leave her enough time to be at home with us because when she does get home, it's homework and contributions and dinner.  She recently took a gymnastics class and loved it.  She learned how to do a pretty good cartwheel and hand stand and we're seriously considering putting her in another class (she wants us to but we have to come up with $$)

I can't even begin to summarize my kids in these pathetic paragraphs but I had to try.  They aren't going to be the ages they were today ever again.  I love them and want to preserve the memory of them at every age.  Life is becoming very busy and too often, I am too busy to savor our time.  I want to change that but if I can't 100% change that, I want to be able to read about them at ages 6, 4, and 11 months and remember what they were like.

No comments: