Friday, April 6, 2007
Feeling Faint
The weirdest thing happened to me this morning. Ryan and I went on a little bike ride down to the lake, which is about a mile from our house, and downhill all the way. It was a piece of cake. But when we got there, we had to cross a big field of gravel. As I was riding over it, I was thinking to myself that it was not a very bright idea because the gravel slides around under your tires. Well, guess what. Just when I was considering jumping down off my bike to walk it, the bike hit one of the pebbles wrong and I went down. I was actually able to manuever my body so that I landed on both knees rather than on my side and it wasn't a very big deal, or so I thought. I wasn't injured, just a bit embarrased in case anybody saw me fall, and I did notice that my pants received a little hole in the knee, but no big deal. I stood up and immediately got very dizzy. My knees felt like they were going to buckle under me, so I hurried to sit back down on the gravel. I also felt nauseated and my body turned cold. It took me 10 minutes of holding my head between my legs before I felt like I'd be strong enough to stand up. After that, I made a full recovery and was able to jump on my bike (after walking it off the gravel, of course) and ride it home. As embarrasing as it was, it was also interesting to me and I just wonder what caused that reaction. After all, I just fell and scraped my knee. But, I thought I'd share my very first "fainting" experience with my readers. And be careful on the gravel from now on, alright?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ew! Scary! I wonder why that happened?! Thank goodness you're okay :0)
I think maybe the stress of falling down and being scared you were going to get hurt made you vasovagal. Basically your veins just open up and let gravity dumb your blood down, so you get really lightheaded and faint. It happened to me once - it was about a week after my fibroid surgery. I was standing at a restaurant waiting for a table and suddenly I felt really hot, then I felt like I was going to faint and puke... I slid down onto the floor before I could pass out. I tried standing up five minutes later and it happened again! Not a fun feeling.
Post a Comment