We had decided that on Wednesday we wanted to have BLT's (my all time favorite sandwich) and a Potato Bacon Chowder. Alas, we had no potatoes (darn those delicious oven fries we had 2 nights ago!), celery, milk, or chicken broth, and we didn't have $15 to spare. Feeling dejected and trying to think of something else we could make on Wednesday, we stumbled across something on the soup isle:
We saw these soup mixes, and a light bulb went on in our heads. Because at $4.00, it was a little more affordable (at the moment, anyway) then buying a whole bag of potatoes and such. We bought the Creamy Potato mix and last night, I rummaged around in our cupboard until I found it. The directions: bring 8 cups of water to boil, whisk in soup mix, simmer 15 minutes, enjoy. EASY!! I boiled 4 cups of water (I am only cooking for 2 people, mind you), added half the mix, and you wouldn't believe the smell! I could hardly wait to try it, the way it was making my mouth water! I threw in about 3 strips of broken bacon from the sandwiches I was making (if you're worried about calories, leave the bacon out, you can add corn instead) and waited for Ryan to get home. Luckily he arrived before the soup was done, or I might not have left him any. It was absolutely scrumptious! I could tell that it was a mix (there's just a taste) but for how easy it was, it was the yummiest soup I've ever made! (Notice the Gold Medal, I guess I'm not the only person who thought so)
I love to cook, you can ask Ryan, I'm always trying some new experiment (much to his chagrin) but even I have days where I'm just not in the mood to spend any time in the kitchen. This soup is PERFECT for those days. And next time I go to the store, I want to try the Cheddar Broccoli, or the Minestrone, or the "Darn Good" Chili (it used to say "Damn", I guess people complained?)
I hope you won't be disappointed :)
5 comments:
My wife is so super cute.
i read your blog yesterday and i had to have a blt... i made joe take me to the store to get all the supplies :)
This is another good food idea. Thanks for putting up posts like this! I'm kinda new to the whole shopping for and feeding myself thing... and quite often I end up eating out and spending way too much money. This sounds tasty. I love the ideas! Thanks Tamara!
Thanks for the tip!!! I always LOVE finding good, easy things to whip up for the fam! Where did you get it? Costco? Any food store? PLEASE let me know. We love soup, but by the end of most of my days, I feel so pooped to do any cooking. I do anyways, because I have a starving family and no money (I see you can relate!), but an easy meal would be a HIT in my book.
By the way, I love your posts! They are so creative and helpful.
We just got the soup at the local grocery store. I'm sure any Walmart, Smiths or Maceys would have it-just look in the soup aisle.
Post a Comment