Thursday, June 19, 2008

Getting Out of Debt!

My sister Rachel told me about this book a few weeks ago, and I found it on half.com for just a couple bucks, so I thought, "Why not? We're in debt..."

It came in the mail on Monday, and I finished it on Wednesday. What can I say, it was really very interesting and has pumped me up about GETTING OUT OF DEBT! The author, Dave Ramsey, talks about 7 different 'baby steps' that will totally eliminate your debt and make you wealthy in the quickest time frame possible. After reading this book, I don't think it's out of our arena to pay off $35,000 in just 2-3 years. We just have to want to do it badly enough. As Ramsey says in the book, 'live like no one else, and you will live like no one else'. That's confusing, I know, but he means that right now, we have to live as if we are broke--by making sacrifices, cutting up credit cards and living on beans and rice, so to speak. (And doing it when all our friends are out shopping, buying new toys and living in debt) And if we will just do that during the period that we are paying off all that ugly debt we have, then someday we will be reaping the benefits, while everyone else we know is deeply in debt.

I highly recommend this book. Even if you don't want to live like paupers (and, of course, I am experiencing some resistance from Ryan on this issue :) it will atleast change your attitude about how you spend your money and it will give you hope that you can be wealthy someday. It's the best financial book that I've read! So go check it out at the library and give it a try. It might change your life. I'm pretty sure it's going to change mine!

1 comment:

joseph and brianna said...

Thanks for the tip, we got this book like a week ago and we love it too!!!