Friday, January 11, 2013

Holiday Highlights

Ryan and I got ourselves a gun for Christmas.  It's something we've been talking about getting and wanting for a few years now...ever since I had a nightmare about an intruder and brought it up to Ryan.  After all the tragic shootings in 2012, we knew that prices were going to increase, and laws very likely would make it harder to get a gun, so we did it!

Ryan asked a friend to go with him to the range and show him how to shoot, and once he learned that, he took me!  It was VERY nerve wracking for me.  In fact, the first time I shot it, it took me several minutes in the stance and glancing back at Ryan for reassurance before I pulled the trigger.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

By the end of the session, I had shot about 28 rounds, most of them landing within a few inches of where I wanted them.  I even have better aim than Ryan!  It was only a few nights later that I had occasion to use the gun.  I was home alone with the kids and kept on hearing a weird banging noise.  It scared me and I didn't even want to investigate, so I just got the kids into my room, turned on a movie, and put the gun right by me (semi loaded).

I never found out what the noise was, but I suspect it was something very mundane, like the ice maker in my parents fridge.  But if it had been a "bad guy", at least we would have had a fighting chance!


Another highlight of our break was getting to go see Les Miserables with Heather and Kael Alden.  We love the music and we loved the movie!  I can't wait to watch it again!

No comments: