

Our family has delved into the idea of creating a little food storage a few times before. Somehow, the idea just never stuck-likely because we don't have a pantry/cupboard, and because we are trying to get out of debt which means we don't like to spend money on 'extras' like 15 cans of pineapple chunks or 10 bottles of BBQ sauce.
I am making it our family goal to accumulate a years supply of food during 2009. I ran into this fabulous blog, My Food Storage Deals, and it's inspired me to start! We don't have to go out tonight and buy a whole years supply of food to do it-if we did, I would never have a food storage in my life! But we can start watching for good sales on items and focus on buying a years supply of 3 or 4 items/month. And until we have room or cupboard space, we'll just have to get creative with where we put everything (under the bed?).
I also highly recommend using this website, Pinchingyourpennies.com, to find the lowest prices at your local grocery stores. I have a hard time looking over ads and knowing which prices are so-so and which are AWESOME, so having someone else tell me "this is the lowest price ever, go stock up!" is a huge help. Oh, if only we still lived in Utah, where the grocery stores have case lot sales twice a year :( I may have to recruit some friends to do some shopping there for me :)
I'm off to scour the ads for sales-wish me luck!
I am making it our family goal to accumulate a years supply of food during 2009. I ran into this fabulous blog, My Food Storage Deals, and it's inspired me to start! We don't have to go out tonight and buy a whole years supply of food to do it-if we did, I would never have a food storage in my life! But we can start watching for good sales on items and focus on buying a years supply of 3 or 4 items/month. And until we have room or cupboard space, we'll just have to get creative with where we put everything (under the bed?).
I also highly recommend using this website, Pinchingyourpennies.com, to find the lowest prices at your local grocery stores. I have a hard time looking over ads and knowing which prices are so-so and which are AWESOME, so having someone else tell me "this is the lowest price ever, go stock up!" is a huge help. Oh, if only we still lived in Utah, where the grocery stores have case lot sales twice a year :( I may have to recruit some friends to do some shopping there for me :)
I'm off to scour the ads for sales-wish me luck!
3 comments:
Thanks for the tips, Tam! We're also working on our food storage, but I think what we have now would only last about 3 weeks. Lots of work to do! It helps knowing that we'll be here for several years and won't have to move it all too much.
Wow, you are so on top of things! Good for you. We are working on ours too. I just wish we lived in a home with storage space! I can only get about three weeks worth of storage in our pantry. I need a solution! If you come up with any, please share. Thanks for the tips and your delicious recipes :)
I love that second website. I am totally clueless when it comes to good deals myself; I'll buy anything if it says "sale!" It will help me a lot!
Post a Comment