Ryan here. As much fun as I would have investing the below-mentioned $1000 in a PS3 and Rock Band 2, I think I would probably make my wife mad if I did that. Sorry Jason (McDaniel, not to be confused with the twenty-something other Jasons I know). Actually, I can think of a few other things I would rather spend the money on. Like a good overhaul on my mountain bike, for one thing. My rear derailleur is suffering lately, and I think my shocks could use a good cleaning. I'm up to about $60... Maybe I'll get some disc brakes to put on there. Now I'm up to $200, only $800 left... Time to buy groceries I guess... I wish I didn't have student loans to pay back so I could buy something cool, like a nice big flat screen, surround sound, a blue ray player, all that sweet stuff...
Well anyway, I've said it before and I will say it again: working in Utah sucks. After 8 years of trying to find a job where I didn't feel taken for granted and finally leaving the state in order to get that, I've got it! If you are new to reading this blog, my company has google alerts so I can't just mention its name without this blog popping up for all of the corporate head honchos to see, but here, I'll scramble the letters for you: rchstoneA (just put the A in front). Its property management and they own and manage about 25 apartment complexes in the Bay Area, so I was the winner out of about 25 people. I feel like they value me as an employee, and I feel motivated to give them my best effort. In Utah maybe they can get away with treating their employees like garbage because sure, they can just replace me with any of the other 60,000 college students in town. Do they just not know the secret in Utah, that when you are loyal to your employees they are loyal to you? That is why every hotel and restaurant I worked in (a lot of them) will never be better than average.
10 comments:
I say you split the money in 1/2, then you can spend your half guilt-free and let Tam have 1/2 to spend on what she wants! :)
Dan suggests butt implants, for those sexy glutes without the effort. Or designer jeans or a Coach bag for your wife.
If it were me, I would put most of it towards my credit card debt (not a lot, but more than $1000 due to some school, emergency, and recent pet expenses...okay, and a couple small frivolous ones), and save a little bit to do something fun, (fixing up your bike could be considered in that category). This was a reward; I think it is okay to use at least a small bit of it to celebrate your hard work.
I think you should give some to me. :) A happy sister is always a good thing... right?? :)
By the way... did you guys say that you sent something around my birthday? I seem to recall that, but I haven't seen anything...
When I was growing up my parents were the normal, making it by stressing on the bills kinda people. We never splurged on anything. I was floored at my friends buying popcorn at the movies cause... well you just didn't do that! No hot dogs at the game cause getting to the game was good enough.
Then my mom got her current job and things started to get good. And better. And better. A few years ago she went on a spending spree and bought a bunch of new furniture and decorations and crap for the house. I commented how surprised I was and she said "I work too dang hard to not enjoy my money sometimes. I need to know it's worth it" or something like that.
I'd say go 25% responsible and then 75% on whatever you want. You use your bike all the time so a few hundred on that isn't a waste. Buy some food storage and diapers in the responsible arena.
Okay, I'll stop now. I'm just saying have some fun - you earned it. Enjoy your money sometimes or you'll burn out, despite how nice it is to have a good company to work for. :)
Ryan,
I'm with Rach--you each get half! :>) Okay, now you always only have really good things to say about your company, so why don't you want them to see what you say?
Ha, good question. I guess I just don't want them to have unlimited access to everything else I put on here, like political rants. Its really liberal around here, in case you didn't know ;)
You know, your wife is having a baby and babies are expensive and you will have lots of endless bills. not fun!
but, i'd say each gets half :)
for christmas we got a 47'' flat screen and a blu-ray. (they were both gifts...) you and your wife are more then welcome to come over anytime.
Ryan, I'm glad things are so great for you, you deserve it. Congrats on the baby, and in case you didn't know, REAL life starts at the birth of your first, and happiness hinges on this fact, "HAPPY WIFE....HAPPY LIFE."
I feel like you about work in Utah. I spent my youth and early marriage trying to eak out a living there. It seemed to me that the people believed strongly in a separation of church and career. What was your was up for grabs, and anyones job was fare game. You live your religion all the time.....except, on the job or basketball court. I too have enjoyed working in an environement where I am appreciated and where my religious beliefs and standards are even admired.
Hi Tam,
Congrats to your hubby for winning that contest! Just looking through your blog, you guys look like such a fun couple! I wish we lived closer so we could hang out! Sounds like you are having a great time living in SF! I LOVE that city! It is seriously one of my favorite in the world! I don't know if you have ever tried this place but my most favorite restraunt Caffe DeLucchi which is located on Columbus and Green in North Beach. They serve AMAZING breakfast until 2pm on Saturdays. My other favorite is just over the hill in Half Moon Bay - Pasta Moon (it is a little pricey so if you have a special event I would see if you could head there.)
I will definitely be checking back here more often! Thanks for your comment!
Personally, I'd ignore that $1000. Forget you even have it. Take it to a bank and deposit it into a long-term savings account (and I mean, something like a thirty five year account). Don't touch it until retirement and that $1000 will turn into a tidy sum with interest and you won't have to worry about retirement. Heck, you add, say, fifty dollars a month to that account and you could make some serious cash down the road. I know that's boring and the world may just end before you're ready to retire, but if not... you and Tamara will be the most comfortable people on the block (not to mention your golf swing will be killer).
Post a Comment