Ryan and I found out three weeks ago that we were in charge of planning our ward's Christmas party. I've been stressing ever since. (It didn't help that we were out of town for one of those weeks, including a Sunday when we should have been there to make announcements, pass around sign ups, etc...)
We talked to the former activities committee chairperson about last years party, and it sounded so extravagant and expensive, right down to the Martinelli's apple cider beverage. We weren't sure we were going to be able to meet expectations for a great party AND stay within our budget...but that was the least of our worries.
We ordered a bunch of turkeys and sides from Safeway as soon as we could after being put in charge. We thought we were so smart! We would be able to get the food, heat it up and serve it-no cooking! Well, we were paid back for our laziness! We found out on Tuesday of this week that they weren't going to be able to fill our order. When I heard that, I could do nothing but bawl. Poor Ryan got on the phone immediately to try and find some help.
Well, because we have such a fabulous ward, we have nothing to worry about. A professional caterer ward member is getting us a bunch of meat, yams, and cranberry sauce. Ryan and I went to Costco and bought dinner rolls, spring salad mixes, pies galore and 60 lbs of potatoes. That's right... over the last 2 days I peeled, chopped, boiled and mashed a TRUCKLOAD of potatoes right here in my teeny weeny kitchen. My hands look dirty and grimy even after being thoroughly washed. You should see my fingernails!
Anyhow, the moral of the story is that it's great to have people around who are willing to step up and help when disaster strikes, and that even though I never would have volunteered to plan a party for 150+, I'm kind of excited to see how it goes tonight. And also, don't rely on Safeway...
I'll take some fun pictures at the party and post them later on :)
5 comments:
What a nightmare! It's so great that someone was able to step up and help get something pulled together. It'll probably turn out tasting better than Safeway's anyway!
I'm sure with your helpful ward it will turn out great. And I agree with you... I wouldn't volunteer to plan a party for 150+ but the bigger the party the more fun right?
What a mess! I hope it turned out ok! I bet it was great though!
I stress out for only a 20 person party, I can't imagine having to take care of 150 people! Kudos!
How did it turn out? I can't believe you mashed all those potatoes! DELEGATE! Hope everything went well - I'll bet you are glad it's over.
Post a Comment